Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Besitos and warm reception at Carmelitas

Today was a day of meeting wonderful new people and learning new things. When the taxi pulled up to Carmelitas primary school this morning I was still sleepy and ready to go back to bed, but when we entered the school we were met with enthusiasm and open arms, and I was immediately awake and ready for the day.

When we first met the teachers and administrators we were given besitos (welcome kisses), warm smiles, and quickly shown to a fifth grade classroom to gather for morning prayer. In the room the students acted as normal students do anywhere; alive with talking and laughter the room was a typical class. One thing that amazed me was that as several of the students set up for morning prayer they took out matches and lit candles on the floor of the room. To me this shows a known responsibility on the part of the students, and a trusting relationship between them and the faculty. (The students also completely led the morning prayer, which was very impressive to me.) We gathered around in a way that reminded me much of a morning meeting back in America. Although the children also said prayers there was the feeling of community and starting the day together that is wanted in morning meeting. Towards the end, something I really liked was that the students and teachers could put in thoughts and prayers, and the class prayed for it together. This reinforced the feeling of community and I believe there could be a way to do something similar without the religious aspect so it can be done in a public school setting during morning meeting. Something along the lines of volunteers sharing what they are thankful for or concerns they may have, and the class recognizing that. I believe this would create a very open and safe environment. 

After this the U of L students and several teachers from each grade gathered in the library to discuss education in America. The Carmelitas teachers were most interested in how we handle reading and foreign language instruction as they teach completely in English for half of the day. 

I then went on to a second grade class for part of my time, then a first grade class for the rest of the day. The students were wonderful and even though they didn't speak much English (as they were so young) and I don't speak much Spanish, it was great to get to interact with them and see that kids are just kids anywhere you go. The teachers were also very interactive and enthusiastic, which makes the students be as well. Singing, Simon says, and gestures to go along with poems, chants, and songs were my favorite part of the day. The kids learn a lot and are engaged in times like these. 

At the end of the day we spoke a bit more with the faculty about the American and Peruvian school systems and then were able to watch some of the students practice for an upcoming dance performance, which was absolutely amazing. They are so talented and it makes me so happy to have had the opportunity to learn from them and experience this beautiful culture. 

On the walk back to the hotel after our long day we stopped at a fruit stand and tried granadilla, which is kind of gooey with lots of seeds on the inside,  but is so delicious. 

From this day overall I've learned that I'm excited to bring this culture with me into my future class and celebrate our diversity. 

--Michelle Heuer




No comments:

Post a Comment