Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July in Lima

Saturday, July 4, 2015

The 4th of July. America's Independence Day. Typically, I'm at a picnic with friends or family having a cookout, waiting for dark to fall so we can shot off some fireworks and cap the party off with a bang. This year is a little different. This year, I walked around the capital city of a country older than ours, with buildings twice as old as the U.S. I visited the city square and met students from around the country. I walked through catacombs with a tour guide named Peter that houses bones hundreds of years old (YUCK) and marveled at the 500 year old mosaic tile and library that could have inspired any room at Hogwarts. I was approached by street peddlers asking me to purchase all sorts of goods, and was surprised when each time I said "No, gracious," the person - even the children - listened and moved on. This was not my experience when visiting the Caribbean! I watched a changing of the guard at the presidential palace that rivals any country with its pomp and circumstances. I rode in two different taxis and thought I might never see my family again, but made it safely to my designation both times. The city of Lima, with its 10 million people is an amazing place.

Some travel notes –
#1 - when travelling, you should always check whatever device you are using for your clock to make sure it has transitioned to the current time zone. I neglected to do that due to the fact that my phone always switches time zones in the states. Therefore, after a LONG day of travel, and five hours of sleep, my roommate and I woke up and went to breakfast an hour early! What a great way to start the day.
#2 – never assume that items you find domestically when travelling will be available when you travel internationally, like wash clothes. Not a big deal, but definitely something I take for granted at home. However, the hairdryer on the wall is just like every hotel-provided air conditioner. Ladies, you know what I mean.


--Jodi Adams


A view of the San Francisco Catacombs








No comments:

Post a Comment